Aug 21, 2026
The Broward County school board is set to meet in the coming days to consider shutting down more schools as enrollment continues to decline. In the past year, seven schools across the county were shuttered. Now, 10 more could be on the chopping block, deepening the impact on the community. “ These are recommendations to the board based on ongoing declining enrollment in these specific schools,” said Broward schools superintendent Dr. Howard Hepburn. The schools at risk include: Silver Lakes Elementary Dolphin Bay Elementary Oakridge Elementary Hollywood Park Elementary Walter C. Young Middle School William Dandy Middle Lloyd Estates Elementary Banyan Elementary Coral Springs Elementary Forest Glen Middle Parents who spoke to 7News while at the pickup line at Lloyd Estates Elementary were disappointed to hear their child’s school could be next. “This sucks,” said one parent. “The staff is amazing. They’re so friendly and so welcoming, so I don’t know.” “It’s sad. I like this school a lot. My daughter’s in first grade, so it’s her second year here, and I liked it so far,” said another parent. “Hopefully they don’t close.” This is the latest round of possible closures in a string of what are said to be strategic moves by the district in the wake of declining enrollment. “Devastated because my son has been going to this school for years and he doesn’t want to leave,” said a third parent. According to the school district, student enrollment is down over 12,000 this year. “We’re spending more money on operating those schools than actually educating the child,” said Hepburn. The school board is expected to meet Tuesday to begin discussions on the big decision ahead. ...read more read less
Respond, make new discussions, see other discussions and customize your news...

To add this website to your home screen:

1. Tap tutorialsPoint

2. Select 'Add to Home screen' or 'Install app'.

3. Follow the on-scrren instructions.

Feedback
FAQ
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service