McKinney voters, officials and Muslim residents speak on council recall effort
Aug 21, 2026
“Recall!”
The call came from a crowd of hundreds packed into McKinney City Hall earlier this month, before the council unanimously approved a site plan for the McKinney Islamic Association’s sanctuary, gym and classroom building after hours of public opposition to the mosque and Islam.
Recall efforts are now set in motion, with a petition aiming to gather nearly 6,000 signatures to call an election to remove four of seven city council members. The other three are up for reelection next year. Organizer John Aselton, who is coordinating the effort along with four others, says it’s about much more than the mosque.
“It’s far greater than that,” he said. “It’s a perceived, general pattern of not being heard by our elected officials, particularly the mayor and the City Council.”
More than the mosque
The effort has received pushback, and Aselton said his group has been targeted by threats and disruptions at signature-collecting events. Volunteers for the recall effort have felt unsafe, he said, but the group is continuing efforts.
“We want to have qualifying elections,” he said. “We want the McKinney voters to decide.”
Tom Michero has lived in McKinney nearly two decades and plans to sign the petition. From his perspective, the mosque is not the focus of the recall. The city’s leaders have not listened to voters regarding expanding the airport, financing the amphitheater, and constructing the U.S. 380 bypass, he said.
Click here to read more on this report from our partners at The Dallas Morning News.
...read more
read less