Gov. Braun seeks major disaster declaration as floods displace over 1,000, activates emergency funds
Aug 17, 2026
INDIANAPOLIS (WRTV) Gov. Mike Braun on Monday announced people affected by the weekends floods can apply for disaster assistance grants and other relief through the state.During a press conference at the state emergency operati
ons center, Braun thanked President Trump for his quick response to activating an emergency declaration and says the state is working with the president to declare a major disaster declaration. He said it will take state officials another day or two to finalize their application while they assess damage. Once the application is in, he said it will take about 7-10 days for the Federal Emergency Management Agency to review it.Braun and Indiana Department of Homeland Security Executive Director Jonathan Whitham said this weekends presidential disaster declaration allows Indianas state government to access federal resources but does not unlock aid directly to people affected by the storms. A major disaster declaration would.The Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority is activating temporary housing to get Hoosiers out of emergency shelters and into hotels and apartments. Hoosiers in need of temporary housing can find more information at IN211.communityos.org or by calling 211. Additionally, Hoosiers can find American Red Cross shelters in impacted areas here. Whitham said so far, state officials believe more than 1,000 people have been displaced.In addition to the IHCDA housing voucher, people can now apply for a state disaster assistance fund grant worth up to $5,000 to cover clothing and food while they are displaced. Hoosiers should call 211 for more information.Whitham said its crucial for Hoosiers to report any storm-related issues theyre having through 211. He said anyone who applies for state assistance should provide as much documentation as possible, such as photos or videos of damage or receipts for repairs.Reporting through 211 starts to give us a better picture statewide of exactly where the damage is, where the pockets are, where we can prioritize those damage assessment teams to go in and start to gather the costs and the real concrete numbers from this disaster, he said.Braun activated emergency SNAP benefit replacements for eligible SNAP recipients who lost food due to the storm or power outages. Affected Hoosiers will need to submit an affidavit for replacement benefits. The affidavit must be submitted within 10 days of the event and the loss (due to power outage, flood, etc.) must be verified. The document may be uploaded to the FSSA Benefits Portal, faxed to 888-436-9199 or dropped off at any Division of Family Resources office.Braun said he does not plan to reinstate Indianas currently-suspended gas tax in order to reimburse local governments for the cost of repairing roads damaged by the storm.This is not going to impact that, he said. Weve got rainy-day funds, were blessed with excess reserves for things like this.Braun and Whitham said they cannot yet put a dollar figure on how much aid the state will require. They said that figure will emerge in the days ahead.
...read more
read less