Family of one of Islamic Center shooters breaks silence, releases statement
May 22, 2026
One of the teen gunmen who killed three people earlier this week at San Diego’s largest mosque has released a statement in which, among other things, they condemn the violence and extend condolences to the victims of the hate-fueled attack.
A fourth man, an unidentified landscaper who was shot
at as the killers fled the scene, was unharmed. The shooters killed themselves a short while later, according to police.
The teens were radicalized online when they first met and shared white supremacist views, according to authorities and writings they authored.
Investigators found at least 30 guns, ammunition and a crossbow at the teens’ residences after the attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego in Clairemont Mesa.
Deadly mosque shooting in San Diego
May 21
Thousands attend funeral for San Diego mosque shooting victims
San Diego
May 18
Recap: Three killed, two suspects dead in shooting at San Diego mosque
Internet
May 21
San Diego mosque suspects' writings reveal influence of online extremism, experts say
San Diego
May 21
Prayer service held for 3 men killed in San Diego mosque shooting
The family of the older gunman, 18-year-old Caleb Vazquez, said in a statement that their thoughts were with the victims’ families and that they condemned the attacks.
The Vazquez family released a statement Wednesday that said they were “heartbroken and devastated.”
“We want to begin by acknowledging that nothing we say or do could ever repair the damage his actions have caused,” they wrote. “We condemn these hateful and violent actions entirely. As much as we mourn the child we raised and love, we mourn even more deeply for the innocent lives of Amin Abdullah, Mansour Kaziha, and Nadir Awad. We honor and thank them for their heroic actions that day, which prevented the loss of even more innocent lives. Our hearts and prayers are with each of their families during this unimaginably tragic time.”
The Vazquez family said their son was on the autism spectrum and they believed he was exposed to “hateful rhetoric, extremist content and propaganda” on the internet and social media that “contributed to his descent into radicalized ideologies and violent beliefs.
“While there is no excuse for his actions, we have come to recognize how dangerous online spaces are that normalize hatred,” the statement continues.
“Although measures were taken to help him through his mental instability, it ultimately was not enough. We repeatedly encouraged him to seek help, and he voluntarily spent time in multiple rehabilitation centers,” the family said. “We tried to place him in environments and around people who could provide the support and treatment he needed. We will forever live with the burden of wondering whether there was more we could have done to help prevent this senseless tragedy.”
The full statement can be read below:
NBC 7 has also learned that Caleb Vazquez’s father was so concerned about his son that he voluntarily removed all weapons and knives from their Chula Vista home and that he wrote in a court filing just over a year before the shooting that killed three people and devastated the community.
Also on Thursday, thousands of people attended a memorial for the three victims — mosque security guard Amin Abdullah, 51, and congregation members Nadir Awad, 57, and Mansour Kaziha, 78 — who one community leader said “sacrificed their lives to protect the entire community inside” the house of worship.
City News Service contributed to this report — Ed.
...read more
read less